Thursday, July 2, 2009

holy crap!

from The Man Himself:

"Anyway, once I’ve sold enough copies of the above hand made CD/DVD, I’ll commence making a new studio album. Since some of the songs really lend themselves (or how I view the songs ultimately being arranged, that is) to a (latter period) Swans-like treatment, I am considering the idea of calling the next record a Swans album, or at least some sort of hybrid between Swans and Angels of Light. It might even be like this: Swans/Angels of Light, not sure yet. Then I got to thinking that if this happens, I will probably put together a Swans/Angels Of Light tour. I am even threatening to play some older Swans material as well as Angels material on the tour. We’ll see. I haven’t even contacted the appropriate suspects/musicians/victims yet to contribute. It will NOT be Swans “reuniting” or any crap like that – more carrying forward with the thread from Swans’ Soundtracks For The Blind / Swans Are Dead period, and incorporating what I’ve learned from, and the sensibility of, Angels Of Light as well. But surely, in any event, I am anxious to feel the force of sound abuse/pass through my body again."


again, holy crap.

9 comments:

TMM said...

I'll believe it when I see it......whoah

ido said...

Yeah, honestly I'm still skeptical at this point. But then again, who ever thought SKINNY PUPPY would be back in action?

It doesn't matter to me if the new album or tour bears the SWANS tag or not. What matters is the chance to see Gira with a full electric band. And that they may play some of the old songs. We will just have to wait and see.

Moose said...

Holy fucking god i don't know how i found this blog but shit.... asfadfadgg SWANS!!

yd said...

Where has this been written? Do you have a link?

ido said...

YD, here is the link: http://younggodrecords.com/News/Detail/?C=2218

yd said...

The reason I asked you is because Gira has said so many times that (although he played some of their songs live) Swans were a dead project for him. Glad to hear it of course!

Skull Of A Moose said...

I've come back and reread this here and on the young god website at least 15 times now and I still can't believe what I'm reading. Swans and Angels of light have been my favorite bands for well over a decade and have had such a fucking profound impact on my musical tastes and the music I make myself... just goddamn. I hope he does release the album as swans and tour again I never got the chance to see them the first time around. Granted it won't be like Filth/ Greed era Swans but I'll take what I can get.

Rad Teenage Jesus post too by the way.

ido said...

Moose, I'm in exactly the same boat of sorrow as you. I think its pretty amazing that Gira is saying this now, especially after the statements he made (as yd's pointed out above) about SWANS being "dead." I got into SWANS a little more than a decade ago, just missing the chance to see them live. But they changed my life and perceptions on what music and art are capable of. Of course anything called SWANS now will be very, very different (i.e. Jarboe's voice is gone), but still extremely welcome. Any chance to see Gira live, especially plugged into an amp, will be fucking insane. Hopefully he'll come to my area. If not I'll go to him.

Skull Of A Moose said...

Agreed, it will be very different than Swans before they split both for lack of Jarboe and because Gira doesn't seem like someone into repeating himself but I'm sure if it happens at all it will be done right. If there is a tour I'm definitely going to try to travel and catch a few shows.

With my luck they'll play SF when I go to Holland to see Triptykon next year.

-Moz