Saturday, November 1, 2008

Ran away dark


Urban swamp songs. Decay and sexual abandon turns into frustration. Total rock and roll, (but not?)

After TEEN-AGE JESUS and the JERKS imploded, Lydia Lunch (who we'll be hearing a lot from) formed 8 EYED SPY with ex-members of The Contortions and other No Wave superstars. The band created a unique, almost '50s rock tinged sonic fracture. Lower East side transformed into a backwoods hell-hole.

The band was only active for a short period and didn't put out much material before they dissolved. Maybe only two 7"s at most. This album, Live, was co-released postmortem in 1981 by the excellent ROIR Records label and the Dunceteria club. 8 EYED SPY have long been one of my favorite bands. I was twitching around to this in high school while my so called "friends" were pushing Tori Amos, commercialized "punk", and shitty '70s "prog" rock.

"Lazy In Love"

3 comments:

TMM said...

Hey, that Lydia Lunch stuff is up. I bet you have most of it though. Let me know what you think.

http://ingreenmountainhell.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Man, this brings me back...I had this on tape from Roir (say Roar). I hated this tape. It was really hard to get into. Sold it to a second hand record store in flea market. Remembered that it never sold. Flash forward to now, I understand where Lunch was coming from then. I love 8 EYED SPY now. Thank you so much.

ido said...

Its my pleasure and I'm very happy you enjoy this! I've got more Lydia planned soon so please check back.